Future engineering work
PAGE LAST UPDATED: 02/09/2014 22:16. Update now
See details of routes affected by planned engineering works, including when they take effect, maps of the affected area, alternative timetables, advice for alternative travel and real-time updates.
Check my journey
Major improvement works affecting trains between Watford Junction and London Euston over a series of weekends until April 2015
- Start date
- End date
- Route affected
All routes to and from London Euston and between Milton Keynes Central and Clapham Junction
- TOC(s) affected
- London Midland; London Overground; Southern; Virgin Trains;
In the past 15 years, the number of trains using the West Coast Main Line has doubled - and it's getting busier. Much of the infrastructure around Watford dates from the 1960s and with trains running around the clock, it's becoming increasingly unreliable.
Over a series of weekends until April 2015, Network Rail will be replacing three critical junctions to the north and south of Watford and renewing the signalling system in the area. It will also replace the track crossovers with track that is easier to maintain, reducing future disruption due to maintenance, resulting in fewer delays, better punctuality and providing more comfortable journeys.
Over the middle three weekends in August, including the bank holiday Monday, Network Rail closed the railway at Watford Junction, to continue this work. Engineers installed new track, ballast and signalling equipment, on a tight schedule, ensuring the railway was handed back to train operators on time. When the project is completed in Easter 2015, journeys through Watford will be smother and faster.
To see how work was carried out in August you can watch a video here
The Improvement works, when complete, will:
- Renew all signalling between Kings Langley and Bushey allowing greater flexibility, and quicker return to a normal service after disruption
- Lay over 15km (9 miles) of new track giving a smoother journey
- Modify the overhead line equipment to make it more reliable
- Reconstruct Orphanage Road Bridge to allow for future line speeds of 125 mph
The line between Watford Junction and London Euston will be closed on the following weekends to allow for this work:
- Wednesday 24 December 2014 to Monday 29 December 2014
- Saturday 14 February 2015 to Monday 16 February 2015
- Saturday 21 February 2015 to Monday 23 February 2015
- Friday 3 April 2015 to Tuesday 7 April 2015
For more information on how this improvement work will affect your journey please check back nearer the time of travel.