Service alteration details

PAGE LAST UPDATED: 18/10/2018 19:16. Update now

Find out details about how services are running and be informed on any disruption on your journey.

Impact to travel on Great Northern, Thameslink and Northern services due to changes to timetables. Please check before you travel today.

Incident created
05/06/2018 18:35
Last updated
23/07/2018 16:29
Route affected

Great Northern, Northern and Thameslink routes

TOC(s) affected

What is happening?

The new train timetable introduced on 20 May was designed to accommodate extra services and faster trains. Due to the large number of changes required and the late running of some engineering improvements this process has taken longer than anticipated. This meant that train companies had much less time to prepare for the new timetable meaning specialist training required could not be completed in time for drivers to learn all the new routes, or operate different trains for operators to address all the logistical challenges.

Although majority of the services are running as planned, there has been disruption in some areas.

As a result, further changes to timetabled services have been made on Great Northern, Thameslink and most of Northern with immediate effect.

What we are doing

Great Northern, Thameslink, Northern and Network Rail are working hard to get back on track as quickly as possible.

Northern has put into place an interim timetable to stabilise services, removing 168 services per day from their timetable. On 30 July, 75% of these services will be reinstated. The remaining 25% will be reintroduced in September.

Great Northern and Thameslink are working to introduce changes that will progressively deliver improvement. In the meantime, some trains will be removed from their timetable so there are fewer unplanned cancellations, allowing passengers to arrange their journeys with greater confidence.

What we would advise

Check before you travel:

Please check our Journey Planner before you travel to help plan your journey.

If you have a ticket to travel on Northern, Thameslink, or Great Northern train services and are unable to complete your journey due to delays or cancellations on the recent published timetable changes, valid tickets are being accepted by other train companies on reasonable alternative routes at no extra cost until 29 July (tickets will not be accepted on Southeastern High Speed services due to capacity constraints). Just present your ticket to a member of staff on the day. Click here to view the alternative options available to you.

To find out more details about disruptions and alternative routes available, please check our National Service Indicator by selecting the appropriate Train Operating Company for updates on how their services are running.

More information from Network Rail, Great Northern, Thameslink, and Northern can be found here.

Check if you can claim compensation:

Customers affected are encouraged to apply for Delay Repay compensation. Find out more information here.