Annual Gold Cards
More than just an Annual Season ticket...
If you buy an Annual Season ticket or Annual Travelcard in the South of England, you may qualify for an Annual Gold Card which offer discounts on leisure rail travel.
What is an Annual Gold Card?
Annual Gold Cards are Annual Season tickets with a difference!
When you buy an adult Annual Season ticket or Annual Travelcard online or at a station within the Annual Gold Card area and the origin and/or destination are also in the Annual Gold Card area, you are automatically issued with an Annual Gold Card. If your Season ticket is issued on smartcard or an Oyster card, you will be eligible to automatically receive a Gold Record Card to your registered address.
As well as being a Season ticket for a full year, you also get a range of discounts on other leisure rail journeys in the Annual Gold Card area for both yourself and others.
What is the Annual Gold Card Area?
Click the map below to expand to a zoomable map of the area
How much do Annual Gold Card Season tickets cost?
Annual Season tickets are a great way of saving money across the year as, on average, the cost of an Annual Season ticket is calculated to the same as approximately 40 x 7-Day Season tickets so the savings could work out to be huge (and effectively up to 12 weeks of free travel)!
Why not use our Season Ticket Calculator to find the exact cost of an Annual Season ticket for your journey? Remember, Annual Gold Cards are only issued with Annual Season tickets or Annual Travelcards within the eligible area, or to/from a station within the area.
What discounts do I get?
Holders of Annual Gold Cards and Gold Record Cards get the following discounts for journeys that start and end within the Annual Gold Card area
1/3rd discount on:
- Standard and First Class Anytime and Off-Peak tickets for the cardholder and up to three adults travelling with them
- Off-Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-6
- Oyster Off-Peak pay as you go single fares and the pay as you go daily price cap for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway services. The Annual Gold Card discount will need to be set on an Oyster card. You can ask staff at London Underground, London Overground, TfL Rail and some National Rail stations in the London area to set the discount for you.
- Anytime Day Travelcards when bought as part of your ticket to London from outside London Zones 1-9 (subject to time restrictions and a £17 minimum fare)
- PLUSBUS Day tickets in the Network Railcard area
- 60% off Child fares for up to four children aged between 5 and 15 years (subject to a £1 minimum fare)
- Children aged under 5 years travel free of charge
- Additional one year Railcard for £10 for any nominated person (including yourself)*
- Discounts on journeys to the Isle of Wight using Wightlink, Red Funnel and HoverTravel (when purchased as part of through journey including National Rail)
*choose from a 16-25, Family & Friends, Senior, Two Together, Disabled Persons or Network Railcard. You can purchase one discounted Railcard, subject to eligibility, anytime during the validity of your Annual Gold Card. See Discounted Railcards section for details.
The maximum group size is four adults and four fare-paying children (children under 5 travel at no charge). The Annual Gold Card holder must travel with the group at all times.
Annual Gold Card holders do not need to purchase a ticket for themselves if the journey being made is covered by their Annual Season ticket. When buying discounted Day Travelcards for accompanying adults or children, the Annual Gold Card holder must ensure their Annual Season ticket is also valid for travel in the London Fare Zone they wish to travel to, otherwise they must purchase a discounted Off-Peak Day Travelcard for themselves as well.
When can I get the discounts?
Discounts are available for travel at or after 09:30 hours on Mondays to Fridays. Valid at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Where can I travel?
Annual Gold Card discounted tickets are valid for travel on journeys wholly within the Annual Gold Card area on the following participating train companies services:
Arriva Trains Wales
East Midlands Trains
Great Western Railway *
South West Trains
‡ Annual Gold Card discounted tickets are not valid for travel on CrossCountry services north of Banbury.
*Annual Gold Card discounts are not valid on tickets with the route Evesham/Stroud
Travel is not available on:
- journeys outside the Annual Gold Card area
- Eurostar services
- any train where the equivalent full-price ticket is not valid
- any shipping or ferry services (except as shown above to/from the Isle of Wight)
- Rail-Air Coach Link services
- London Underground services except when travelling as detailed above
- Virgin Trains East Coast and Virgin Train services
Annual Gold Card holders can buy one of the following one year Railcards for only £10 anytime during the validity of their Annual Gold Card for either themselves or someone else:
- 16-25 Railcard
- Two Together Railcard
- Family & Friends Railcard
- Disabled Persons Railcard
- Senior Railcard
- Network Railcard
Annual Gold Card holders can apply for a Railcard for £10 at the National Rail station where they purchased their Annual Season ticket. Holders of Annual Gold Cards bought online or Gold Record Card holders can apply at their local National Rail station.
A Railcard application will need to be completed by the applicant and, where required, evidence of eligibility and photos – see the relevant Railcard application form for details. The Annual Gold Card holder will need to show their Annual Gold Card or Gold Record Card at the time of purchase and only one discounted Railcard can be purchased during the validity of the Annual Season ticket.
Disabled Persons Railcards are not available to buy at stations. Please contact the Disabled Persons Railcard office for details on how to apply online:
Tel: 0345 605 0525
Alternatively applications for a Disabled Persons Railcard can be made by post by completing and returning the application form, evidence of eligibility and a copy of the front and back of the Annual Gold Card to the Disabled Persons Railcard office, PO Box 6613, Arbroath, DD11 9AN.
Upgrading to First Class
Annual Gold Card holders can upgrade to First Class on a route covered by their Annual Season ticket by paying the difference between the full single fare for First Class accommodation and the full single fare for Standard accommodation or a First Class supplement offered by the train company before their journey starts.
Where can I buy an Annual Gold Card?
You can buy an Annual Gold Card Season ticket or Annual Travelcard online or from any station within the Annual Gold Card area.
Who qualifies for an Annual Gold Card?
Annual Gold Cards are automatically issued with an adult Annual Season ticket or Annual Travelcards when:
- the issuing station is in the Annual Gold Card area or the Annual Season ticket is bought online; AND
- either the origin station, destination station or both are within the Annual Gold Card area.
If an Annual Travelcard is loaded on to a smartcard or Oyster card, a Gold Record Card will be issued which offers the same benefits as an Annual Gold Card.
There are some circumstances where Annual Season tickets and Annual Travelcards are not issued as Annual Gold Cards, including:
- Child rate Season tickets
- Privilege Season tickets
- Annual Season tickets wholly for travel outside the Annual Gold Card area
- Annual Season tickets issued outside the Annual Gold Card area
- Easit scheme Season tickets
- nNetwork, nTrain and cross boundary nTrain Season tickets
- Transport for London 16+ Oyster photocards, 18+ Student Oyster photocards and Freedom Passes
Full Terms and Conditions
Full terms and conditions for the Annual Gold Card can be found here.