How much could you save?
If you make the same journey more than three or four times a week you may find that, on the majority of routes, Season Tickets offer better value for money compared to buying daily tickets. Season Tickets allow unlimited travel in both directions between the stations specified.
Why not use our Season Ticket Calculator to see how much you could save... You'll also save time - there will be no need to visit the booking office every day!
How long can a Season Ticket be valid for?
You can buy a season ticket for seven days or any period between one month and a year:
You can use the ticket at any time during any seven day period for travel between the points shown on the ticket - the more you travel, the more you save!
Monthly Season Tickets offer great savings compared to buying four individual Seven Day season tickets.
Over one month
Season Tickets can also be purchased for any duration between one month and one year.
What sort of journey can I buy a Season Ticket for?
Season Tickets are available for most short and medium distance journeys on the National Rail network. Season Tickets are not generally available for long distance journeys, but maybe available where a train company chooses to offer them.
For very long journeys, an All Line Rail Rover Ticket can work out a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets and gives the added bonus of unlimited travel anywhere on the National Rail Network. They are available for periods of 7 or 14 days - more information can be found on our Special Offers page.
London Area Travelcard Seasons
Travelcard Season Tickets can be used on most of London's public transport network including National Rail, London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, London Buses and Tramlink services. The Travelcard area is shown on the London Connections map.
Information about London Area Travelcards
- For travel only within the London Travelcard area...If your journey is entirely within the London Travelcard area, Travelcard season tickets offer unlimited travel anytime within the chosen Travelcard Zones on National Rail, London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, and Tramlink (valid throughout the Tramlink network when Travelcard is valid in Zone 3, 4, 5 or 6 or any combination of these Zones) services for the period for which the ticket is valid. Your Travelcard will also be valid on most London bus services on the London Bus network. The London Rail & Tube Services Map shows the extent of all the Zones. For Travelcard season prices use our Season Ticket Calculator. You can also view the full range of zonal fares on the Transport for London website.
- For travel from a station outside the London Travelcard area...If you start your commute from a station outside the Travelcard area, your Travelcard season ticket offers unlimited travel between your starting station and the Zone 6 boundary of the Travelcard area (on the route shown on your Travelcard), plus unlimited travel on National Rail, London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, Tramlink (valid throughout the Tramlink network when Travelcard is valid in Zone 3, 4, 5 or 6 or any combination of these Zones) within your chosen Zones, for the period for which your ticket is valid. Your Travelcard will also be valid on most London bus services on the London Bus network. Travelcard seasons can only be issued for a minimum of two adjacent Zones and must include Zone 6. For Travelcard season prices use our Season Ticket Calculator.
- From Sunday 20 May 2012, customers must have a photocard in support of any 7-Day Travelcard when purchased from railway ticket offices.
PLUSBUS - Combined Rail and Bus Season Tickets
You can now buy your train season ticket and your bus season ticket at the train station in just one easy transaction – saving you time and money!
PLUSBUS season tickets are available to 170 towns and cities across Britain. They are valid for set periods to match your train season ticket: 7-days; 1-month; 3-months and 1-year and give you unlimited bus travel on all participating bus operators’ services around your origin, or destination town.
What's more, with a PLUSBUS season ticket you can travel as much as you like during the evening and at weekends. Use PLUSBUS for your journeys to the shops, leisure attractions and to visit your friends!
Buying a Season Ticket
When can I buy a ticket?
I need to:
7 Day Season Ticket or Travelcard
Season Tickets and Travelcard Seasons for 1 month or more
Buy a new Season Ticket or Travelcard
Renew a Season Ticket or Travelcard Season following a break in continuity
A ticket may be issued on the start date.
If the start date is a Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the season ticket may be issued from 06:00 on the previous Sunday.
If the start date is a Saturday, Sunday or Monday (also Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday.
If the start date is another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
Renew my existing Season Ticket or Travelcard Season with no break in continuity
If the start date is a Sunday or Monday (or Tuesday after a Bank Holiday), the Season Ticket may be issued from noon on the previous Friday.
If the start date is any another day, the ticket may be issued after noon on the previous day.
The ticket may be issued anytime up to seven days in advance.
Where can I buy a ticket?
For Monthly or longer season tickets, you may need to complete an application form or have a 'season ticket record' created
If necessary, you will need to provide a passport-type photograph for the accompanying Photocard
If you already have a Photocard, you may be able to buy seven day season tickets at self-service ticket machines
Photocards do not have an expiry date and can be reused when a season ticket expires
To avoid the queues, it's best to avoid buying your ticket on weekday mornings
How can I pay for my Season Ticket:
It's easy to pay for your season ticket, with a range of options available.
You can pay for your season ticket in the following ways:
- Cheques - Details of payment by cheque
- Rail travel vouchers
- A Rail Warrant issued by your employer
- One of the following credit or debit cards:
- American Express
- Some train companies may also allow you to spread the cost of the season ticket by paying with Direct Debit – please ask when purchasing for more information.
Season Tickets Routes
Which Train Company or Route can I use?
Unless the season ticket says it can only be used on a specific Train Company, it is valid on all Train Company services on the route and within the zones for which the ticket is issued.
Season ticket with 'Dual Route Availability'
If two railway lines run close or on geographically parallel routes it may possible to buy a specially priced Season Ticket with dual route availability - for example a Season Ticket from Farnborough to London can be requested to be available to use from Aldershot or a Season Ticket from Huntingdon to London can be available to use from Cambridge.
- Children (aged 5-15 years inclusive) receive a 50% discount on Season Tickets and Travelcards, for both First Class and Standard travel.
- 7-Day Season Tickets/Travelcards - If the child reaches their 16th birthday during the validity of the ticket, a 7-Day Season Ticket with the 50% discount will remain valid.
- Monthly or Longer Season Tickets or Travelcards - A child who becomes 16 years old on the first day of a 'period' Season Ticket/Travelcards pays the adult rate. If the birthday is within the ticket's validity period, but after the first day, the half rate ticket will continue to be valid, but needs to expire up to a maximum of four months after the 16th birthday.
- Annual Gold Cards - These tickets are not issued to children. Full details on Annual Gold Cards.
Railcard discounts are not available on Season Tickets, as these tickets are already heavily discounted.
Special Season Tickets
Annual Gold Cards
Annual Gold Cards are Annual Season tickets with a difference! As well as being a Season ticket, your Annual Gold Card gives you 12 months of travel discounts for yourself and other people travelling with you. Annual Gold Cards are automatically issued when you buy an Annual Season ticket for a journey entirely within the Annual Gold Card area.
'Early Bird' Season TicketsTranspennine Express offers discounted Weekly or Monthly Season Tickets in Standard class for travel on earlier trains between Dewsbury/Huddersfield/Lancaster/Leeds/Preston/Sheffield and Manchester Piccadilly for those passengers who can arrive at Manchester before 0730. The return journey must depart between 1000 and 1600, or after 1830.
The 'Early Bird Plus' is a supplement which is available at £6.00 and allows holders of the 'Early Bird' season ticket to travel during peak periods on the date of purchase only.
Tickets and supplements may be purchased at the station only, ask at the booking office for more details and price.
Southeastern offers discounted 7 day or monthly Season Tickets for travel on earlier trains from Gravesend and Meopham to London. Ask at the booking office for more details and price.
Passenger's Charter Discounts
Each Train Company Passenger's Charter gives performance targets and details of the discounts available for Monthly or longer Season Ticket renewals in the event of below standard reliability or time keeping for the train service group. Details of any discounts are announced locally by individual Train Companies.
Season Ticket refunds
If you stop travelling and no longer need your Season Ticket, please hand it in at, or post it to, the ticket office where you bought it.
Full information about season ticket refunds can be found in the Season Ticket Terms and Conditions page.