Careers in Rail
The railway is an exciting industry to work in - whether it be for a Train Company, Network Rail or a Freight company...
- Network Rail - Network Rail owns and operates Britain's rail infrastructure
- Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) - Industry association advocates on behalf of its member companies. It provides the Train Companies with impartial services such as National Rail Enquiries, Rail Settlement Plan and Rail Staff Travel
PLEASE NOTE: National Rail Enquiries contact centres are provided by a third party supplier - ATOC are unable to accept queries about vacancies within NRE contact centres.
Train Operating Companies
Train Operating Companies (TOCs) operate passenger trains across Great Britain on the National Rail network. Each Train Company has it's own recruitment website, which can be found by using the links below:
- Arriva Trains Wales - Domestic rail services within Wales
- c2c - East of London to Southend / Shoeburyness
- CrossCountry - Intercity rail services across the UK with Birmingham as the hub.
- Chiltern Railways - Local train services from London to towns along the Chiltern Valley.
- East Coast - Intercity Rail services from London to the Eastern Counties and North East England and Scotland.
- East Midlands Trains - Services across the East Midlands and to London
- Eurostar - London - Paris / Brussels and beyond
- First Capital Connect - Local rail services from London to suburban towns to the north and south.
- First Great Western - Intercity Rail services from London to the West of England. Also Night Riviera Sleeper service.
- First Hull Trains - Intercity Rail services from Hull to London
- First TransPennine Express - Express rail service from the Lake District in the West through Manchester to the North East across the Pennines.
- Greater Anglia - Intercity Rail service from London to Norwich and local services in the East Anglia area
- Heathrow Express - Express Rail service from London (Paddington) to Heathrow airport.
- Island Line - Rail service on the Isle of Wight.
- London Midland - Local and regional trains in the West Midlands and along the West Coast Mainline
- London Overground - Local trains in North London
- Merseyrail - Train services in the Liverpool area
- Northern - Rail service in the North of England
- ScotRail - Local and Intercity Rail services within Scotland.
- Southern and Gatwick Express - Local and long distance trains in the area to the south of London.
- Southeastern - Local and long distance trains south east of London.
- South West Trains - Trains from London to destinations in the South West
- Virgin Trains - West Coast mainline from Glasgow and West Coast towns to London
Freight Operating Companies
Freight Operating Companies (FOCs) carry freight across the rail network, including cars, containerised freight, coal, metals, oil, mail and construction material.
The main Freight Operating Companies are:
- Colas Rail
- Direct Rail Services (DRS)
- DB Schenker (Formerly EWS)
- Fastline Freight
- First GBRf
More information about a career in the Railway is available from the websites of the companies listed above.