What is a Freedom Pass?
A Freedom Pass allows those who meet the age criteria and eligible disabled people who are resident in a London borough to concessionary travel on London's public transport network. The pass is paid for by your local London Borough council - for details of how to apply visit the Freedom Pass website
Unlimited free travel is permitted on Tube, Docklands Light Railway, London Buses and London Tramlink services but some time restrictions for travel on National Rail services apply. These are shown on the Freedom Pass map and are detailed below.
Where can a Freedom Pass be used on National Rail services?
On the following Train Company services, Freedom Passes are valid any time at weekends and on public holidays. On Monday to Friday, free travel is only permitted at the following times:
- Abellio Greater Anglia: From 09:30 plus valid any time on all services between Stratford and London Liverpool Street.
- c2c: At any time on all services between London Fenchurch Street and Upminster and from 09:30 on services between Rainham and Barking.
- Chiltern Railways: From 09:30 plus valid any time on all services between Amersham and Marylebone and between West Ruislip and South Ruislip.
- First Great Western: From 09:30 on all services.
- Great Northern: From 09:30 plus valid any time on all services between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross/Moorgate
- Heathrow Connect: From 09:30 on services between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington only.
- London Midland: At any time on all services between Harrow & Wealdstone and London Euston only.
- London Overground: At any time on all services.
- Southeastern: From 09:30 plus valid any time on all services between Elephant & Castle and City Thameslink.
- Southern: From 09:30 plus valid on services between Clapham Junction and Harrow & Wealdstone at any time for Disabled Persons Freedom Pass holders and from 09:00 for Older Persons Freedom Pass holders.
- South West Trains: From 09:30 on all services.
- Thameslink From 09:30 plus valid any time on all services between West Hampstead Thameslink and Elephant & Castle/London Bridge.
Where Freedom Passes cannot be used
Free travel is not available:
- on any services outside of the area shown on the Freedom Pass map
- on Southeastern high speed services
- on Gatwick Express services between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport
- on any train services operated by East Coast, East Midlands Trains, First Hull Trains, Grand Central, Heathrow Express or Virgin Trains.
They are not valid for travel in First Class accommodation.
For travel beyond the Freedom Pass area you must buy a separate extension ticket before you travel. Please show your pass at the ticket office when buying tickets.
Travelling with Children?
If you are travelling on London Overground, London Underground or DLR services after 09:30 Mondays-Fridays (or at anytime at weekend or on public holidays) you can take up to four under-11s with you for free.
How do I use my Freedom Pass?
You must touch your pass flat on the yellow card reader at the gates at the beginning and end of your journey.
More information is available from the Freedom Pass website.