Travelling First Class
Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, First Class provides you with a comfortable and spacious environment where you can take time out and relax.
For business customers, First Class enables you to use your journey time productively - working, preparing for a meeting or even conducting a meeting in a conducive environment.
For leisure customers, watch the world go by - read a book, listen to music or just relax...
Train Companies offering First Class services
The following Train Companies offer First Class facilities. Simply select the Train Company you are travelling with, to find out details of the First Class services they offer to customers travelling with them.
- Abellio Greater Anglia
- Arriva Trains Wales
- East Coast
- East Midlands Trains
- First Great Western
- First Hull Trains
- First TransPennine Express
- Gatwick Express
- Grand Central
- Great Northern
- Heathrow Express
- London Midland
- South West Trains
- Virgin Trains
First Class carriages are available on Greater Anglia Intercity and Stansted Express services. First Class service includes:
- larger, more comfortable seats with extra legroom
- spacious tables from which to work
- complimentary newspaper
- complimentary refreshments served to you at your seat on Stansted Express services
- complimentary refreshments on Intercity services when a Cafe Bar service is in operation
Arriva Trains Wales - Premier Class travel
The normal range of First Class products will be available on this train; in addition customers holding Standard Anytime and Off Peak tickets may pay a supplement to travel in First.
Premier Class Supplements
- This upgrade is available to holders of valid 'Anytime' or 'Off Peak tickets'. This supplement is in addition to the fare for the travel ticket. Customers holding Standard Advance Purchase must first be upgraded to an off peak or anytime ticket in addition to the supplement. Railcard reductions apply to the supplement to holders of Senior, Forces and Disabled Railcards.
- A customer who is only travelling a part journey on this train may purchase a Standard Ticket for the complete journey and a supplement for the portion with First Class.
- Travel is not permitted on a supplement without a travel ticket. Customers holding a supplement only should be sold a ticket as if no ticket is held.
Premier Class service
- Full breakfast on the outward journey.
- 3 Course Dinner on the return journey.
- Complimentary hot or cold drinks.
- Note on Premier Class Advance Fares and Supplements
- It will only be possible to reserve the new First (AW1) and the First Supplement (PCU) products on this train. No other Arriva Trains Wales train conveys First Class accommodation and it will not be possible to reserve these products on any other service.
- In addition if a First Class reservation is requested on any other Arriva Trains Wales service that customer will be reserved in Standard Class.
More information about Arriva Trains Wales
When travelling First Class with CrossCountry (except on the Birmingham to Stansted Airport and Nottingham to Cardiff Central), you get the freedom and space to settle back in stress-free comfort and work peacefully – or just relax. You’ll be offered a range of complimentary food and drinks throughout the day, including breakfast, to make your journey as comfortable as possible.
A range of breakfast rolls are available in the morning, with the daytime menu offering tasty hot and cold sandwiches - all with vegetarian options.
Complimentary Drinks are available, including:
- Teas including English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Peppermint and Camomile,
- Filter and Decaffeinated Coffee
- Hot Chocolate
- Coca Cola & Diet Coca Cola
- Orange Juice
- Still or Sparkling Water
- Alcoholic drinks can be purchased from the on-board shop.
The catering facilities including complimentary First Class refreshments will close at Plymouth on trains heading for Penzance, and will close at Edinburgh on trains heading for Glasgow or Aberdeen. Food and drink will still be available after Plymouth on trains heading for Newquay.
So sit back, relax and enjoy your journey with CrossCountry - whether you are using one of the short routes or travelling across the country.
First Class Lounges are available at London King’s Cross, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Darlington, Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster stations.
Complimentary refreshments and newspapers are provided in all lounges. First Class lounges also give you access to complimentary internet via Wi-Fi and business facilities including faxes, photocopiers and workstations should you need them. For your convenience, meeting rooms are available at Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh stations. They are equipped with all you would need to run a meeting, from flipcharts to phones. Complimentary refreshments will be delivered at regular intervals and you can order a buffet lunch if required.
Meeting room prices start at just £75 for a half day, including equipment. Please call 08457 225 125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or to book a meeting room.
First Class Lounges are open to customers who hold one of the following ticket types:
- Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket (i.e. tickets not specific to one train company)
- Any First Class Anytime ticket valid for travel on the East Coast route
- Any East Coast First Class packages
- Holders of a First Class Lounge supplement, available for purchase with a East Coast First Advance ticket or First Class reader offer
Please be aware that First Advance and Weekend First tickets are not entitled to use the First Class Lounges. If travelling on a First Advance ticket, you can purchase a £5 supplement ticket, which allows you access into the First Class Lounge. This can be purchased on the day of travel at any East Coast Travel Centre or at the time of booking your ticket online.
The First Class service on East Coast trains is ideal for both business and leisure travel, providing a perfect environment to focus on the day ahead, discuss your plans or simply unwind. The pleasant and relaxing environment of First Class also benefits from larger, more comfortable reclining seats each with its own table.
Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout First Class should you wish to continue to work and check messages while on board and mobile phone/personal computer plug sockets are fitted throughout our First Class coaches (with the exception of Coach J on diesel (HST) operated services).
If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful area in which to enjoy your journey, then the Quiet Coach could suit you. This is located in coach K on our electric (Mallard) trains and coach J on diesel (HST) trains. Passengers in the Quiet Coach are asked to respect the following rules:
- No making or receiving mobile phone calls in this coach. Please go to the vestibule at the end of the coach to talk on the phone.
- Use all electrical equipment in silent mode.
- If chatting with fellow passengers, please do so quietly and with consideration for others.
All passengers travelling in First Class will receive complimentary food and drink. For shorter journeys, passengers are offered non-alcoholic drinks and snacks while on journeys over 70 minutes passengers can look forward to something a little more substantial. The menu varies according to time of day and the season.
Before 09:30 look forward to a great British breakfast.
During the day
Until Around 11:00 the mid-morning offer includes bacon butties, breakfast menu with vegetarian and healthy options. From 11:00 choose from a selection of sandwiches, light lunch or a hot dish, rounded off with a piece of fruit of cake all served at your seat and accompanied by complimentary drinks from the trolley. Afternoon Tea is served on selected services between 15:00 and 16:30.
Evening meals are available on selected services departing London between 17:00 and 19:00. The evening offer is available from 19:00 including a hot option and a selection of sandwiches.
At weekends and bank holidays passengers will be offered a light breakfast and during the day a choice of sandwiches, crisps and cake, all accompanied by hot and cold drinks. Alcoholic drinks and hot food will be available to purchase from the CafeBar.
Hot and cold drinks will be served all day from our trolley and served at seat. Complimentary alcoholic drinks are served to customers aged over 18 on weekday services. Alcohol is not included as part of the complimentary breakfast offer.
First Class customers enjoy:
- More spacious carriages
- Large, comfortable, reclining seats
- Complimentary refreshments (see below)
- The opportunity to buy tickets inclusive of both breakfast and parking
First Class ticket holders, travelling Monday to Friday, also enjoy
- complimentary tea and coffee
- a daily newspaper
- small snacks
- fruit juice in the morning
- mineral water
- a glass of wine on selected afternoon services
Complimentary tea and coffee is also available to all First Class ticket holders at the weekend. Simply present your ticket at the buffet bar to collect your drink. (Newspapers, snacks, juice, water and wine are only available on weekdays)
The First Class lounges are open Monday to Friday and are a great place to work or relax while you're waiting for a train. They offer complimentary refreshments, WiFi, fax and phone services are available.
Lounges are available at:
- London's St Pancras International on the upper concourse, near the statue of Sir John Betjeman
- Nottingham Platform 4 / 5
- Derby on Platform 4
- Leicester on Platform 3
First Class Lounges are available to customers with First Inclusive, First Plus Breakfast, First Plus Parking, First Open (Anytime) and First Class Season tickets.
PLEASE NOTE: Advance tickets cannot be used to gain access to First Class Lounges at any East Midlands Trains station.
First Great Western offer a number of benefits to customers travelling First Class:
- A warm welcome on board
- Reclining, spacious leather seats
- Quiet, relaxed atmosphere
- Tables at every seat, with power sockets for your laptop or mobile phone
- Room to work or relax
- At-seat service from one of the Customer Hosts
- Complimentary refreshments throughout your journey
- Buffet ordering service on selected trains
- Complimentary newspaper
- Friday Night Wine Club
Fancy something to eat or drink?
- Customers travelling First Class can enjoy a range of complimentary light refreshments, served at your seat. If you would like something more substantial from the Express Café, then your Customer Host will be happy to take your order
- Refreshments are served at your seat from Monday to Friday until 1900 each day. After this time, or at weekends, present your ticket at the Express Café where the Customer Host will be happy to serve you
- On trains with Chef services, you can order items from the Chef menu and have them brought to your seat, including hot toasted baguettes and sandwiches, fresh salads and soup of the day, as well as other special offers
- For the ultimate dining experience, why not try the Pullman Restaurant? Choose from a range of superbly cooked dishes from the à la carte menus or in the morning enjoy the famous breakfast. The Pullman Restaurant is available on selected services on weekdays. On Fridays, they offer a complimentary glass of wine on services departing between 1500 and 1930 from London Paddington, Swansea, Bristol Temple Meads and Plymouth
- Please note that some of the High Speed services do not have an Express Café. On these trains, an at-seat trolley service will be provided on weekdays, with complimentary tea and coffee provided at weekends, when you will also be able to buy other items from your Customer Host
- There is no catering on High Speed services between London Paddington and Oxford, except on those to or from the Cotswolds.
Please note, complimentary items are not normally served at-seat on journeys between Plymouth and Penzance, but can be obtained from the Buffet on the presentation of a valid First Class ticket.
First Class accommodation on board offers everything you need to get you to your destination feeling relaxed and refreshed.
Whether you're travelling for business or pleasure the emphasis is on comfort. First Class features include:
- Large, comfortable, reclining seats
- Tables which you can work from
- Complimentary copy of The Times and The Evening Standard
- At seat refreshment service.
The First Class interiors provide a calming and spacious environment for you to make the most of your time whilst travelling to or from the airport.
First class passengers can expect to enjoy traditional seating patterns with wider, reclining seats and adjacent power points for phones, personal entertainment or laptops. Complimentary beverages and a regional newspaper to hand, the first class carriage is a welcome haven for those working on the move or wanting to enjoy a more relaxed and spacious environment. Curtains at the windows will offer additional privacy and shade.
Restaurant and buffet facilities will be provided for passengers ensuring the traditional high quality environment of the route is maintained.
All tables in First Class will have imprinted Monopoly®, Cluedo® and Chess Boards for those looking for some more traditional and inter-active entertainment on their journey. Pieces will be available to purchase from the buffet, or passengers are very welcome to bring their own.
First Class carriages are available on Great Northern services.
First Class is the most enjoyable and stress free way to travel to and from Heathrow airport.
With quicker, easier access to the terminals, plus more leg room, uninterrupted mobile coverage/Internet Wi-Fi and complimentary papers, First Class makes perfect sense. You can hang your coat, sink into an extra-large seat, and enjoy the extra leg-room.
Then, the choice is yours. Either settle down with complimentary copies of the Financial Times, magazines, or use the extendible tables to catch up on some work, and with Onboard TV, Internet Wi-Fi access and uninterrupted mobile coverage, even in tunnels you won't waste a moment.
London Midland offers First Class travel on the following routes:
- All mainline services south of Northampton
- Northampton to Crewe via Lichfield
- Birmingham – Liverpool
- Birmingham - Northampton
London Midland First Class travel offers wider, more comfortable seats with more legroom than in Standard Class, and a smaller, private compartment to either work or relax in.
The newer Desiro trains operate some of the services along these routes; they also offer power points and reclining seats.
Travelling First class means travelling in air-conditioned carriages with superior reclining seating, extra space and plug-in points for laptops or mobile phones, an ideal environment in which to work or relax*.
You’ll enjoy complimentary, tea, coffee or mineral water together with a biscuit, and a selection of newspapers and magazines as you travel.
*some facilities may not be available on the Aberdeen - Inverness route.
On Overnight Sleeper Service
First ScotRail’s Caledonian Sleeper service operates overnight trains between London Euston and the main towns and cities in Scotland:
- Sleeping cabins are equipped with everything you need for a relaxing night’s sleep: comfortable beds with blankets and fresh cotton sheets; air-conditioning; lighting with bedside controls and a concealed wash basin with shaver point and soft hand towel. All sleeping cabins are non-smoking
- First Class Single Berth Cabins offer a private and peaceful area for a comfortable night’s sleep
- A Host is available to serve you light snacks and drinks from the room service selection and, in the morning, you will be woken with a light breakfast accompanied by tea or coffee and a complimentary newspaper
- A toiletry pack is provided.
First Class Lounge and Waiting Facilities are also available to you at some main stations:
- Edinburgh - A First Class Lounge with phone and fax facilities is available to First ScotRail customers and is located next to Platforms 11 and 14. The Lounge is open Monday to Friday 0840-2328 and on Sunday 1600-midnight
- Glasgow Queen Street – First Class customers can wait in comfort in The Millennium Hotel, situated right next to the station and overlooking George Square. Just present your ticket to staff and enjoy a complimentary tea, coffee or mineral water. You also have access to a fax facility. Available Monday to Friday.
- Aberdeen – First Class customers with time to spare can relax in the brand new First Class lounge. Available Monday to Friday.
- Inverness – First Class customers can enjoy a complimentary tea, coffee or mineral water at The Royal Highland Hotel, right next to the station. Just present your ticket to staff. You also have access to a fax facility. Available Monday to Friday.
South West Trains First Class ticket holders receive a complimentary hot drink on services with catering facilities that arrive at London Waterloo prior to 10.00 from Bournemouth, Portsmouth and the West of England.
From 5 January 2009 on Monday to Friday services you can experience our new menus which have seen us search the United Kingdom to find the very best of British ingredients to use in our new, but classic British dishes. From breakfast to evening meals, we are proud to serve you with a proper British bite to eat.
Best of British
Our food is hand selected from our choice of suppliers for taste, quality and sustainability, so you can be sure that only the best of British makes it on board. Wherever possible, poultry will be free-range, meat will be outdoor-reared and hot drinks will be Fairtrade.
Dine in style
A new menu wouldn’t be complete without some posh new china. With over a quarter of a million pieces being supplied by Stoke-on-Trent based company Dudson Limited, the stylish but simply designed china and place settings will be used throughout First Class.
Weekend at seat service
Relax whilst we bring a choice of hot and cold drinks, fruit and biscuits to your seat, all day throughout the weekends.
Get a taste for what’s cooking in First Class and read more about our new weekday menus. In order to keep our choice seasonal, fresh and exciting we’ll be rotating menus from time to time.
The Great British Breakfast
Welcome to a real cooked breakfast, the perfect combination of succulent British outdoor-reared pork and herb sausage and sizzling sweetcure back bacon with a free range egg. Or leap into a vegetarian feast instead with potato rosti, tomato and a spinach and onion mix. Or indulge in some Scottish smoked salmon and scrambled egg. A proper British way to start the day.
If you prefer a lighter option, how about a warm croissant or some fresh toast from the bakery basket? All washed down with a Fairtrade cup of tea or coffee, or a refreshingly chilled orange or grapefruit juice.
The Great British Breakfast is served on Pendolino services commencing before 10am.
If you’re travelling on one of our Super Voyagers, why not tuck into a sizzling sweetcure back bacon bacon sandwich, a vegetarian panini or a Scottish smoked salmon and scrambled egg soufflé, followed by a warm croissant from the bakery basket or fresh fruit.
Feeling a bit peckish? Found yourself in-between meal times or after an evening treat? Don’t worry, we’ve got just the thing to keep you going, whether you’re after a tasty sandwich, such as Scotch rare beef with stilton, or a sweet treat, we've got a tempting selection to hush those hunger pangs.
All made from the finest British ingredients, our Light Bites will provide a tasty snack guaranteed to hit the spot, whatever the time of day or night.
Light Bites are served on Pendolino and Super Voyager services from 10am until 4pm and then after 7pm.
If you've had a busy day and worked up an appetite, then join us and unwind over a delicious evening meal. Why not compliment your food with a cheeky glass of red, or a cool crisp bottle of beer, whilst you tuck in to a smoked salmon rigatoni or a vegetarian cottage pie, followed by a chocolate duo truffle mousse pot.
Evening meals are served on Pendolino and Super Voyager services commencing between 4pm and 7pm (Except on Super Voyager services between Birmingham and Scotland.)
Hot and cold drinks, including Fairtrade tea and coffee, will be served throughout your journey and are complimentary. Alcohol is available to customers aged over 18 on all of our services except breakfast.